Thursday, May 16, 2013

Tested Low-Calorie Recipe: Nutella Caramel Sea Salt Clusters

You know what the best thing since sliced bread is? NUTELLA! It is the most amazing mix of buttery, nutty, and chocolate-y flavor and I can eat it on anything. Unfortunately, it's not exactly the lowest calorie toast-topper. So when I can find a way to make it into a low-calorie recipe, I JUMP at the chance. So here we go . . .

I present to you, low-calorie Nutella Caramel Sea Salt Clusters!!! Doesn't the name just scream deliciousness?! I could not believe that when I calculated out the recipe, it comes out to only 91 calories per cluster. I cannot wait to hear what you all think when you try this recipe!

The original recipe, which you can find here is pretty awesome, but when I went to make it, I realized I had no peanut butter in the house. Well, guess what has the same number of calories per tablespoon as peanut butter? NUTELLA! So once again, my limited pantry led to an incredible flavor combination that I hope you enjoy as much as I do.



Low Cal So Cal's Nutella Caramel Sea Salt Clusters

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/2 cup Nutella
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups oats, either quick-cooking or old fashioned

DIRECTIONS:

1. Pour the white sugar, brown sugar, butter and evaporated milk in a saucepan.

2. Cook the mixture on medium-high heat, stirring constantly (especially the butter), until the mixture comes to a boil. Boil for 1 minute.

3. Remove the pan from the heat. Add the Nutella, vanilla and oats. Stir well until evenly mixed and all the oats are covered in the Nutella & caramel sauce.

4. Working quickly, drop the oat mixture by teaspoons-full onto waxed paper (do not use an ice cream scooper, it is too big since the mixture is extremely rich in flavor). Sprinkle sea salt as desired.

5. Cool completely. This recipe makes about 48 clusters. Refrigerate the ones you don't eat immediately. Bon apetit!

NUTRITIONAL INFO (per serving, recipe makes 48 clusters):

Calories: 91
Carbs: 15 g
Fat: 3 g
Protein: 1 g

What is your favorite Nutella recipe?

2 comments: