Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Tested Low-Calorie Recipe: Easy Garlic Chicken

I am going to start posting low-calorie recipes that I have actually made and would recommend to others. There are so many on allrecipes.com, food.com, Dr. Oz's website and Pinterest, that it is hard to know where to start. I like things with big flavor and doesn't taste like I am depriving myself or is "diet food."


Tonight I tested out a recipe I found through Pinterest. The original recipe is called "Easy Garlic Chicken" and it is exactly that. Not only is it easy, it is also low in calories, weighing in at 221 calories per chicken breast. My modified version is below and weighs in at 204 calories per chicken breast (fewer if you don't like it too sweet and cut back on the brown sugar).

The modified version is sweet and garlic-y and delicious! I had it on its own with a mixed salad for dinner tonight and I can't recommend it enough. At so few calories, I didn't feel guilty about having a 110-calorie Skinny Cow ice cream bar afterwards.

Here is my modified version of the recipe since I didn't want to turn on my oven:

Low Cal So Cal's Easy Garlic Chicken

INGREDIENTS:

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (or 4 chicken kabob skewers) (1 lb.)
4 tablespoons of minced garlic
To save time I used the Spice World minced garlic in a jar from Costco
4 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil

DIRECTIONS:

1. Cut chicken breasts into cubes or remove chicken from kabob skewers.

2. In a deep sauté pan, sauté the minced garlic with the oil and brown sugar on medium heat until the mixture begins to caramelize and bubble (about 5 minutes).

3. Add half of the chicken to the pan and stir (unless you have a large enough pan for all of the chicken, then just do this step once). Sauté the chicken until it is cooked through (chicken should feel stiff and be lightly browned at the edges, about 10-15 minutes).

4. Remove the cooked chicken with chopsticks, tongs or a fork, and place into a serving platter so that the garlic glaze remains in the pan.

5. Add the other half of the chicken to the sauté pan and stir until it is cooked through as well (about 10 minutes).

6. Remove the remaining cooked chicken and add to your serving platter. Bon apetit!

NUTRITION INFO (per serving, recipe makes 4 servings):

Calories: 204
Carbs: 12 g
Fat: 8 g
Protein: 25 g


A few scoops of chicken were taken before I remembered to take a picture!

Eat this with fresh steamed veggies, salad or brown rice. This is the first time I have written out a recipe, so let me know if you have any questions.

What is your favorite low-calorie chicken recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment