Sunday, August 19, 2012

Switch It Up: English Muffins vs. Bagels

This morning I had brunch with my cousins at my favorite brunch place. Now you must be thinking, what can you possibly eat at a brunch place that is low-calorie? Well, my favorite breakfast food ever is a smoked salmon bagel with red onion, hold the capers. That normally would weigh in at a whopping 620 calories. At this brunch place it was even worse because it took two bagels, and therefore 950 calories to finish off the smoked salmon platter. That is assuming only 1 tablespoon of cream cheese per slice of bagel, so you can imagine it could be even more. Wow! I never sat down to calculate that before.

Well, like I said before, I am not about to give up my favorite foods in the name of dieting, so I made a simple switch. I traded in my bagel for a toasted English muffin, and just doubled up the salmon on each slice. An English muffin is 120 calories versus 270 calories for a bagel. This cut the entire meal down to 467 calories. Even if I doubled up the English muffin, it would still be less than the nearly 1K worth of calories I was consuming before!


Thomas' English Muffins are my favorite!

So next time you are itching for a bagel, just ask for an English muffin instead. I promise you won't even notice the difference!

What's your favorite brunch food?

No comments:

Post a Comment