Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tested Low-Calorie Recipe: Nutella Cookie Bites

I don't know about you, but if I ever imagined what the perfect dessert would taste like, it better have some Nutella in it!

So when I found this Nutella cookie recipe on Pinterest, I KNEW I had to try it. Click here for the original recipe. The original makes 24 cookies at 101 calories each. Omit the sugar that the Pinterest poster suggested and they are 86 calories each.

So I went to my cousin's house for some late-night baking. Now I have found that in life, mistakes force you to think of solutions that can often times turn into great ideas. This was one of those times.

All I came with to her house was a jar of Nutella. I assumed as we are both avid bakers that she would definitely have flour and eggs. Well, she had the eggs . . . and a half a cup of flour that I managed to scrape out of the bottom of the bag. Oops.

We decided we would try to half the recipe, and I decided, why not just use the egg whites? That is essentially half of an egg, right? Well, the recipe I used is below, and we ended up with 18 delicious 57-calorie Nutella Cookie Bites that really hit the spot. See my version of the recipe below.


Low Cal So Cal's Nutella Cookie Bites

INGREDIENTS:

1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup Nutella
1 egg white

DIRECTIONS:

1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.

2. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

3. In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, Nutella and egg white. Hand-mix until well-blended into a dough.

4. With plastic gloves or well-cleaned hands, roll a 1" ball of dough and place it on the parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. This dough is great because it is not too sticky.

5. Press down with your fingers on the 1" ball to form a flat circle in the thickness of the cookie you want. It will spread a little during baking, but not much. Repeat to make 18 cookies.

6. Put the cookie sheet in the oven for 8-10 minutes.

7. Take the cookie sheet out of the oven, and put the cookies on cooling racks to cool. Bon apetit!

NUTRITION INFO (per cookie, recipe makes 18):

Calories: 57
Carbs: 7 g
Fat: 2 g
Protein: 1 g

These cookies were so chewy and delicious even on the next day. It was so easy to make, I am going to find it hard not to make them every day! Please note that these cookies are bite-sized, but they are really flavorful so one or two is enough to hit the spot. If you share, you will run out quickly, so that also helps with the portion control :)

What's your favorite Nutella recipe?

No comments:

Post a Comment