Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Low-Calorie Lunchbox: Honey Mustard Turkey Wraps

Four great low-calorie solutions combined to make this awesome 183-calorie Honey Mustard Turkey Wrap and I cannot wait to share it with you.

Sandwiches are pretty much a staple for lunch for me. When I am at work, I go to the cafe in the lobby; when I am on the go, I stop by Subway; when I am at home, I just slap together a sandwich (or two). Whatever it may be, it usually takes 300-400 calories to just make me feel satisfied, and I usually ended up reaching for snacks to supplement. Well, I was so happy when I found this much lower calorie, but actually more filling sandwich wrap.

The first great find was Best Foods Honey Mustard which was $1.50 at Big Lots. At only 10 calories per teaspoon, you can be generous and get lots of flavor. The easy squeeze bottle looks like this:


The second great find was La Tortilla Factory Smart and Delicious Tortillas in the LARGE size. It is a bit pricier at $4+ per 8 tortillas, but if you can get it on sale, definitely grab them! It is a huge tortilla (get the large size for 80 calories, or if you aren't as hungry, the regular 7" one is only 50 calories), so you can really load up this wrap. I had tried the low-calorie bread, like Oroweat Soft Family Wheat Bread at 130 calories for 2 slices (tasted a little like cardboard) or Sandwich Thins which are 110 calories for 2 slices (not filling enough), and it just was not cutting it for me. This tortilla on the other hand is soft and delicious, so it really works. It looks like this:


The third low-calorie ingredient is Oscar Meyer's Deli Fresh Oven Roasted Turkey Breast slices. At only 45 calories for 6 slices, it is a great filler for this wrap. They also have honey ham and other turkey flavors for around the same calorie count, so check it out.


Finally, the last find was Kraft Fat Free American Cheese Singles slices. At 25 calories per slice, it tastes very similar to full fat cheese and makes me feel like I am indulging even though I am not.


This wrap is so simple, you don't need a "recipe" per se, but here is what I do so you can see what gets you to 183 calories:

Low Cal So Cal's Honey Mustard Turkey Wrap

INGREDIENTS:

1 80-calorie La Tortilla Factory Smart and Delicious Tortillas (Large Size)
2 slices of red onion (I love onion so I usually do two, but you can do one)
6 slices of Oscar Meyer Deli Fresh Smoked Turkey Breast
2 teaspoons of Best Foods Honey Mustard
1 slice of Kraft Fat Free American Cheese
3 or 4 lettuce leaves

DIRECTIONS:

1. Lay the tortilla flat on a napkin or plate. Squeeze out two small dollops of honey mustard. Spread with a butter knife until it covers the entire tortilla.

2. Cover the tortilla with 6 slices of turkey so that it covers the entire honey mustard surface. This gets you turkey in every bite!

3. Layer on the lettuce leaves and red onion.

4. Tear the cheese slice into thirds. Then line up the pieces vertically along the center of the tortilla so that the diameter of the tortilla is lined with cheese. Again, a little cheese in every bite this way!

4. Roll it up and enjoy! Bon apetit!

NUTRITION INFO (one wrap):

Calories: 183
Carbs: 26 g
Fat: 4 g
Protein: 20 g


Voila! Your wrap should look a little something like this!

With just these ingredients, the possibilities are endless. I am thinking of doing a chicken quesadilla with the tortillas next.

What wraps will you try?

No comments:

Post a Comment