Thursday, August 23, 2012

Tested Low-Calorie Recipe: Yogurt Pancakes

Need an idea for Sunday brunch or Saturday morning breakfast? Here is a delicious and low-calorie option! This recipe is for pancakes, but Low Cal So Cal style with yogurt . . . that's right, I said YOGURT.

Click here for the original recipe. Now this recipe says you can make 8 small pancakes or 4 big ones. There is no way I could do this. The batter was much too thick, so you would likely only be able to make 2-3 regular pancakes per batch, which really ups the calorie count per serving.

Since the original recipe was much too thick, I added a little water to thin it out, so I got more pancakes out of the recipe and therefore fewer calories per serving.

Further, the original recipe called for Greek yogurt, and as I have learned from past recipe fails, Greek yogurt is not my friend. I find the aftertaste funny and can definitely tell when it is in a recipe as it inevitably has this doughy or mushy texture. Instead, I used Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Non-Fat Yogurt which conveniently comes in the 6 oz pack called for in this recipe. At 80 calories, it is a great snack on its own as well.

I've made a few tweaks as you can see below, for a tasty and even lower-calorie solution at only 80 calories per pancake!

With my favorite pancake toppers, sugar-free maple syrup or sugar-free strawberry preserves, you can have two large pancakes and your favorite topping for less than 200 calories! Compare that to a short stack at your favorite diner (Denny's in my case), for 330 calories without any syrup or topping!


Low Cal So Cal's Yogurt Pancakes

INGREDIENTS:

6 oz of Dannon Light and Fit Vanilla Non-Fat Yogurt (80 calorie kind)
1 egg white
1/2 cup of flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 cup of water

DIRECTIONS:

1. In one small bowl, mix the yogurt and the egg white together.

2. In a separate, larger bowl, mix together the flour and baking soda.

3. Pour the yogurt & egg mixture into the larger bowl with the flour and baking soda. Stir to combine.

4. The batter will be extremely thick at this point. Add a quarter cup of water and stir. Keep adding water if you want an even thinner batter.

5. Pour the batter onto a sprayed griddle or pan heated to medium-high. You can make 8 smaller pancakes or 4 large ones with this recipe. May be even more if you added more water to thin out the batter.

6. Flip the pancakes when they start to bubble a bit on the surface. Cook until golden brown on both sides.

7. Serve with sugar-free maple syrup (30 calories per 1/4 cup) or sugar-free jam or preserves (10 calories per tablespoon for Smucker's Sugar Free Strawberry Preserves with Splenda). Bon apetit!


These are the smaller size pancakes, yum!


NUTRITION INFO (per plain pancake, recipe makes 4 large pancakes, half numbers if you made 8 small ones):

Calories: 80
Carbs: 15 g
Fat: 0 g
Protein: 4 g

These are delicious and taste exactly like the pancakes from the box. My favorite is to spread a tablespoon of preserves. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. Hmm, guess I know what I'm having for breakfast!

What's your favorite pancake topping?

2 comments:

  1. SO sad I made this recipe to a "T" and was sooooo excited when I tasted the batter because it tasted AMAZING! They came out uncooked tasting in the center. I am a firm believer in low and slow and it still did not cook all the way through. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny - So sorry to hear that. I have made these at least a dozen times and have never had an issue of them cooking through. Maybe try to do thinner pancakes (though the ones I made are pictured and it is pretty thick).

      Delete